Monday 18 February 2008

Security Toolbar 7.1 is a scam...

Having just had my computer hijacked by Security Toolbar 7.1 which is screwing up my computer and recommending I buy some extortion ware more commonly known as rogue anti spyware.

For your information this Security Toolbar 7.1 pretends to be a video code update then it screws with your computer so it is safe to say do not buy any of the following products.

Win PC Doctor
WinSpy Control
AntiSpy Kit
Virus Ranger
WinSecure Antivirus


I did find a decent web site that has checked many of the products available and recommends a handful of products. The site is at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy

To be fair it was my own fault I am off my lap top as I have exceeded my USB 3 GB download therefore back on to my old desk top that is rather antiquated with considerably less protection than my lap top.

I have personally used Spy Sweeper, Spy Doctor and Nod 32, all are good and all have particularly good reviews. What I will say is nothing will catch everything so it is a good idea to have a few solutions and run each one, one at a time if your having problems.

As a quick fix you may be able to do a window restore to the previous day, if this is an option, back up your important files and try this. This worked for me and cost me nothing. It should work in Vista and XP, not sure about Macs.

If you come across any other spyware products that manufacturers should be in jail for them please comment.

No comments: